Monday, April 09, 2007

An extract from my book "I hate networking!"

This is a short extract to show readers the style of the book

Fancy buying it?

View here for details

For the 'lazy' reader we have it in audio format too. Here are the details



Chapter 7 - Building relationships

The event 7:05 p.m.

“Hi, Will, I’m back.”

“Tell me all about it then.”

“Mike was precisely as I thought; welcoming and friendly. The first ‘challenge’ however was that he didn’t introduce me to the others.”

“And why do you think that was, bearing in mind you thought he was an experienced networker?”

“I know precisely why. He couldn’t remember their names!”

“Correct. So what did you do?”

“I asked him if I could introduce myself.”

“And did you?”

“Yes, I met Stewart, Celia, Joanne and Robert. And, using your techniques, I repeated their names and as you can see, I learnt them.”

“You really are making some progress here, Brian. By the way, how do you think Mike felt when you asked if you could introduce yourself?”

“I’ve not even thought about it.”

“Well, I’ll tell you. He was mightily relieved and tremendously grateful. Why? Because you got him out of a big hole, saving him a lot of embarrassment.”

“Now you mention it, I suppose I did. Hopefully he’ll remember that and the next time I bill him, he won’t quibble about the price!”

“What else happened?”

“Well, the group sort of split into two shortly after I arrived. I ended up talking to Robert, Celia moved off and Mike, Joanne and Stewart started talking scuba–diving …of all things.”

“What’s wrong with that then?”

“It’s a business-related event, it all seemed a bit frivolous to me.”

“I’d actually say quite the opposite. We’ll deal with what to talk about soon. But, tell me, how did your conversation go with Robert?”

“All right, I suppose.”

No comments: